8 Day Offshore HVAC Engineers Course
Leading the way in HVAC training for Offshore Engineers
Tradewinds Engineering Ltd is a recognized training provider to the Oil & Gas Industry. We are approved by City & Guilds, CITB and FETA, to provide a range of courses relevant to refrigeration and air conditioning. We also provide service and support for offshore installations and can help with service & maintenance contracts through to offshore surveys.
Our philosophy is that we want to train your engineers to service and repair your own equipment. There is nothing worse than a piece of equipment going down and you don’t know how to fix it in an emergency.
We want to train your engineers to be competent at repairing these systems. However, we also offer 24/7 support for all of our students. Anyone who has been on our course, is able to ring us up at any time (yes 12.30am is ok) so that we can help them to diagnose the fault. If between us, the problem cannot be resolved then our tutors can fly out to the rig as we all have our offshore survival tickets.
What is this course about?
This course covers the fundamentals of HVAC, Refrigeration and Air conditioning systems for the offshore industry. It is an excellent combination of theory and practical hands on training, to give you all the skills and confidence you need to repair offshore refrigeration systems.
We provide a mobile training service throughout the UK and worldwide which can deliver all of our courses at your premises. We also have training facilities in Aberdeen (Scotland) and Somerset (England).
This will include:
- Galley walk-in cooler and freezer rooms
- Control room air conditioning
- Electrical switchroom cooling systems
- Living quarters air conditioning & chillers
- Doghouse cooling systems
- ATEX air conditioning
This course includes x2 qualifications which will be gained upon successful completion.
The feedback has been overwhelming and our clients are saying that this course is essential for offshore mechanics and electricians. Even if the HVAC is subcontracted out, operators and service providers need to understand how these systems work. So don’t just take our word for it. Join us on the next course and find out why.
Why is this course 8 days long?
We have identified the skillset required by engineers to be deemed as competent to work offshore on refrigeration systems. First and foremost it is a legal requirement under the F Gas Regulations 2009 for all engineers who work on refrigeration systems to hold the F Gas qualification. Brazing copper pipework is also a very important skill to ensure the systems are leak free. And perhaps most import is the theory behind how offshore refrigeration systems work.
So essentially the 8 days is made up of 3 courses. Namely, brazing, basic refrigeration and the F Gas qualification. There is a lot of information to cover in a short space of time and our experience has shown that 8 days is sufficient to pass these qualifications.
What qualifications will I gain?
Upon successful completion of the course you will be awarded x2 certificates:
- x1 Brazing Certificate from the British Refrigeration Association
- x1 City & Guilds 2079 certificate in F Gas & ODS Regulations.
Brazing & Pipework
- Safety knowledge of acetylene & oxygen
- COSHH – Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations (2002).
- MSDS – Material Safety Data Sheets
- Approved codes of practice
- Risk assessments and method statements for brazing
- Permit-to-work systems – Hot works, confined space
- Transportation of gas cylinder regulations
- Brazing in confined spaces
- Working on equipment containing combustible & toxic substances – Refrigerants, mustard gas (Phosgene)
- Storage and handling of oxy-acetylene equipment
- Personal Protective Equipment.
- Fluxes and filler material
- The brazing process
Basic Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Principles
- Global warming & climate change
- Ozone depletion
- System components
- Health & safety of refrigerants
- Basic electrics
- Brazing principles
- Pressure testing
- System evacuation & record keeping
- Charging refrigerant
- Leak checking
- Refrigerant & oil recovery
- Hazardous waste consignment notes
C&G 2079 – F Gas & ODS Regulations
The assessment covers 9 key areas of competence. You will be required to successfully complete all tasks whilst working on an approved City & Guilds test rig. You may receive verbal questions from the assessor while you undertake your practical exam. You could also be asked to describe the actions you are performing and explain why you are taking them.
THE LEARNER MUST BE ABLE TO:
- Identify basic systems, terms, principles, units and how these relate to theory and thermodynamics of vapour compression cycles and refrigerants.
- Identify the causes and effects of global warming and climate change.
- Identify the causes and effects of ozone depletion.
- Identify stationary refrigerant, air conditioning and heat-pump system components, functions and leakage risk.
- Identify the hazards and safe working practices for the installation, commissioning and handling of refrigerants.
- Fabricate and examine pipe work.
- Undertake pressure testing, evacuation and record keeping.
- Undertake refrigerant charging, leak checking and record keeping.
- Undertake recovery of refrigerant and oil and prepare for disposal.
Upon successful completion of both the theory and practical assessments, you will be issued with a City & Guilds certificate.
WHO IS THIS 8 DAY COURSE FOR?
Specifically for offshore mechanics, electricians and marine engineers who need to repair refrigeration systems on Oil & Gas platforms, supply vessels, FPSO’s, Jackups and Drillships. This course will give you the skills needed to confidently repair and commission refrigeration and air conditioning systems in hazardous environments.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
Please contact us for prices and availability.
HOW DO I BOOK THE COURSE?
Simply call our office on +44 (0) 8453876387 or use the enquiry form below:
cforms contact form by delicious:days
Click here to submit your review.
8 Day HVAC Training Course For Offshore Engineers SKU UPC Model
FPal Customer Feedback - 10 out of 10 across all 15 criteriaAn excellent course for offshore engineers.
Sep 14, 2012 by Kirstin Clarke
Company: Rowan Drilling
FPal Customer Feedback - 10 out of 10 across all 15 criteria
An excellent course for offshore engineers.